Postdoctoral Position in HCI Modeling (Kochi University of Technology, Kochi, Japan)
Saturday, Ocb 31, 2018
Application deadline is Jan 15, 2019. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled
- Title: Research Associate (Post-doctoral Researcher)
- Institution: Center for Human-Engaged Computing, Kochi University of Technology
- Employment period: 3 years （No extension. Mid-term evaluation after 2 years）
- Salary: annual compensation 4,200,000 JPY
- Allowance: Accommodation allowance 300,000 JPY/year
- Research budget: 500,000 JPY/year
- Social Insurance: included
- 所属：高知工科大学 HEC研究センター（Center for Human-Engaged Computing）
- 任期：3年間 (延長なし。２年経過後に中間評価)
- 所属：高知工科大学 人机共协计算研究所（Center for Human-Engaged Computing）
The Center for Human-Engaged Computing (CHEC) at Kochi University of Technology is recruiting one Research Associate (Post-doctoral Researcher). CHEC (http://xrenlab.com) which is directed by Prof. Xiangshi Ren (http://xiangshiren.com) is one of the world’s leading HCI labs with a variety of research interests, and is active in world-wide HCI community. HEC-related studies are concerned with the development of synergized interaction between humans and computers with a particular focus on innate human potential and human well-being. Currently, we focus on the study of engagement, aging issues and computational aesthetics.
We are seeking outstanding candidates with relevant background in Human-Computer Interaction, Computational Modeling, Data Sciences, Cognitive Science, or Machine Learning.
A strong interest in applying computational methods to human-computer interaction is required (e.g., human behavior modeling, computational user interface design). Technical experiences in areas such as inverse modeling, deep learning, generative models, and reinforcement learning would be very useful. Applicants should have excellent programming skills (e.g., Python)., and a solid history of publications at top conferences such as CHI, UIST or the top-pier conference in applicants’ fields.
The applicant will also assist in the supervision of a research team of mutually supportive PhD, MSc and BS. students in various projects.
The applicant may be required to support the center’s director in managing some administration work.
Fluent English writing and presentation skills are essential.
SALARY AND CONTRACT TERMS
The expected starting annual compensation for postdocs is 4,200,000 JPY (around 300,000 JPY per month), accommodation allowance 300,000 JPY/year, and the applicant will receive a research budget of 500,000 JPY/year. The contract includes occupational social Insurance. The employment period will be three years with no extension, and a mid-term evaluation will be conducted after the second year.
Apply by submitting
- A cover letter describing research background and interests
- Representative publications from the past five years (at least 2 publications, in PDF form)
- Contact information for two referees
Interested applicants should send the application by email to email@example.com. The interviews will begin after the application is received. This open position will be closed after an appropriate applicant is found.
Recent Publications in relation to this position
- Ren, X. (Aug. 2016). Rethinking the relationship between humans and computers, Computer, Vol.49, No.8, pp.104-108, IEEE.
- Law, E., Silpasuwanchai, C., Ren, X., Bardzell, J., Clemmensen, T., Liu, Y. (2015). Leveraging and Integrating Eastern and Western Insights into Human Engagement Studies, Extended Abstracts of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI Workshop ’15). Seoul, Korea (April 18-23). New York: ACM Press, pp.2433-2436.
- Farooq, U., Grudin, J., Shneiderman, B., Maes, P. and Ren, X. (2017). Human Computer Integration versus Powerful Tools, Proceedings of the CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’17), pp.1277-1282, Denver, USA (May 6 – 11, 2017).
- Salehzadeh Niksirat, K., Sarcar, S., Sun, H., Law, E.L.C, Clemmensen, T., Bardzell, J., Oulasvirta, A., Silpasuwanchai, C., Light, A., Ren, X. (2018). Approaching Engagement towards Human-Engaged Computing. In Proceedings of the CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’18), Special Interest Group (SIG) Proposal. ACM. Montreal, Canada (April 21 – 26, 2018).
- Niksirat, K.S., Silpasuwanchai, C., Ahmed, M., Cheng, P. and Ren, X. (2017). A Framework for Interactive Mindfulness Meditation Using Attention-Regulation Process, Proceedings of the ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’17), Denver, USA (May 6 – 11, 2017), pp. 2672-2684.
- Chen Wang, Sayan Sarcar, Masaaki Kurosu, Jeffrey Bardzell, Antti Oulasvirta, Aliaksei Miniukovich, Xiangshi Ren (2018). Approaching Aesthetics on User Interface and Interaction Design, Proceedings of the 2018 ACM on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (ISS '18), Tokyo, Japan (November 25-28, 2018), ACM, New York, USA.
- Chen Wang, Xiangshi Ren (2018). An Entropy-based Approach for Computing the Aesthetics of Interfaces, Proceedings of the 2018 ACM on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (ISS '18), Tokyo, Japan (November 25-28, 2018), ACM, New York, USA.
- Jokinen, J. P., Sarcar, S., Oulasvirta, A., Silpasuwanchai, C., Wang, Z., & Ren, X. (2017, May). Modelling Learning of New Keyboard Layouts. In Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 4203-4215). ACM.